Pages

Thursday, 17 April 2014

sewing simple drawstring bags


I ran out of steam a couple of times when I was working on this and, with typical abstract logic, decided rather than take a break and tidy up the small wool mountain by the side of the sofa, I would instead sew myself a few project bags to split the mountain up into separate hills.

I chose fabric from Fabric Rehab, keeping the costs down by selecting some main prints and matching them up with various colours of spotty cotton.  I figured that by mixing and matching I would end up with several bags which complement one another, without looking identical - I'm hoping this will make it easier to keep track of what's in each one.



I could work out how to make the bag, but not to line it, and rather than spend hours trying to work it out, I turned to Google.  This was the tutorial I choose to use - straightforward, enough photos to follow what's going on, and explanations so you know why you're doing what you're doing when you're doing it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

One suggested use of bags like these is to put presents in them - then the bag itself is an extra gift.  At christmas time we tend to use or - more accurately - reuse gift bags - much easier than wrapping paper and sticky tape for Smiler, who can put a gift into a gift bag independently.  Add to this the money saving and eco friendly elements, and hey presto - a greener celebration all round!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I thought making a range of sizes would provide the most flexibility for knitting and crochet projects, so keeping the proportions approximately the same I made a large bag (think pillowcase) as well as a couple of middle-ish sized ones and a couple more the size described in the pattern.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The only alternations I made were to add a few tabs with split rings to use as guides for the yarn, to stop it from getting tangled or being pulled out of the project bag when I tug on it; and hemming the edge of the fabric where the drawstring channels start and end - this means the raw edge doesn't show, which I think looks neater.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I got quicker as I went along, making these, and getting a self healing mat, grid ruler and rotary cutter made a big difference too, even though they are very definitely at the budget end of the scale - about £10 in total.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I love how these turned out - even with the inevitable minor errors that are bound to happen when you try something new, I still love them.  The only problem is that I don't seem to be able to stop making them - they're just so handy for all sorts of things!  Petal has been very admiring, so I'm on the lookout for the right fabric to make her a set, and Smiler needs a bag for his PE kit.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Maybe I should make enough to separate out all my planned projects - there's a small chance that I have been known to buy yarn for a specific pattern and then forgot what pattern it was for, so it goes into the drawer under the bed and then a couple of months later I spot the pattern again (damn you Ravelry!) and order more yarn for it.  Just a small chance that I've done that you understand.



I know I should use Rav to organise what I have under the bed and by the sofa, but I'm just far too lazy impulsive greedy for yarn busy.  

Definitely need to make more of these drawstring bags . . .

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

{{Technical info for those who are that way minded}}
Spotted fabric is cotton poplin, print is 'Enchanted Forest', pink birds and pink forest, sourced from here.  Exterior is reinforced with Vilrene G700 interfacing, sourced here.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

If reading this has made you smile, or left you feeling sad; if you're fuming in anger, or shaking your head in disgust; if you'd like to share something, or just want to say hi, please do so here. Thank you.